Saving PDF’s In OS X
Portable Document Format files, or PDFs, have become the standard for sharing documents online. While not everyone uses the same software to create documents, virtually anyone can view PDFs on their computers. if you use a Mac, you also have the ability to easily create PDFs. Saving a file as a PDF maintains its formatting, layout, and fonts regardless of the programs and fonts present on the destination computer. PDFs can be opened on both PCs and Macs using Adobe Reader, a free downloadable program. For users of the Apple iPad or other tablets, apps such as iBooks can be used to easily open and view PDFs. Because of this versatility and affordability, it can be useful for you to be able to create PDFs for yourself.
Fortunately for Mac users, the solution is readily available. Whether you are using a word processor, presentation software, a spreadsheet program, or some other application, as long as you can print it you can save it as a PDF. To do so, follow these six steps:
- Select print from the ” File” menu. From within your program and with the document open, click on “File” at the top of the screen. Then select the option to ” Print…” from the drop down menu. Alliteratively, using your keyboard, you can simply press the letter “P” and the command key (also known as the apple key) simultaneously. Both of these methods will open the print window.
- Press the “PDF” button. Do not click on the “Print” button. Instead, locate and select the “PDF” button in the bottom lefthand comer of the print window.
- Select the “Save as PDF…” option. This option can be found in the drop down menu that appears after clicking the “PDF” button.
- Name your desired file. If you intend to make the file available online, avoid using spaces in the file name. You can also change the location on your computer where the file will be saved. If you wish, you can give your document a title (other than the file name), specify the subject, and identify the author.
- Optionally, add security to your file. If you want to prevent unauthorized people from opening, copying, and/or printing the file, click on the “Security” button. In the ensuing window, you can set passwords for these functions Click “Okay” to return to the previous menu.
- Click the “Save” button. with all your options set, click “Save”to create the PDF and save it on your computer.
Now your file is ready to be shared by whatever method you choose. You can distribute it online by adding a link for it to be downloaded from your website or you can email it to specific people. Alliteratively, you can share it offline by using a disc or memory card/stick. If you added security, make sure you also provide the password(s) to your intended users By using this process, you can create PDFs on a Mac and share them while incurring no additional expenses.