How to Set Up A iTunes Monthly Allowance
An Apple iTunes account typically requires a valid credit card or a redeemable gift card prior to making a purchase. As such, kids rely on their parent’s purchasing power before they can have access to paid applications and music from the iTunes store. Most parents are hesitant in terms of loaning their cards to their kids and may not have the time to go online or the local shops to purchase a gift card. The Monthly Allowance option resolves this difficulty. This option works similarly with the Direct Debit process, and a monthly transfer is automatically made from one account to another.
The Allowance activation process is a simple undertaking and will only require a credit card and two iTunes accounts. Here are the steps for setting it up on your account:
- First, open the iTunes Store. It is accessible from the left portion of your iTunes screen, below the Library.
- On the right side of the screen, you will see a list of items under the “Quick Links” tab. These provide links to various features found within the iTunes Store. Click on “Redeem.”
- The “Redeem” page will allow you to enter a Download or Gift Card code as well as an option to “Give a Gift on iTunes.” Click on the latter.
- On this page, you will have the option of emailing gift certificates, printing gift certificates, or sending out actual iTunes Gift Cards. It will also allow you to purchase a specific app, movie or music that you can give out as a gift to other iTunes users. The “Allowances” link, on the other hand, will bring you to a page where you can setup the iTunes allowance for your children or friends. Click on the “Set up an allowance now” link.
- You can send out a monthly allowance to your kids or to anyone with an iTunes account in $10 increments ranging from $10 to $50. Add the recipient’s name, a personal message, as well as the recipient’s Apple ID. The page also gives you the option to immediately send an amount, or wait for the start of the following month.
- The next step involves the verification of the credit card information. Simply click on “Done” once all the details are filled in.
Once the Allowance is set up, the specified amount is automatically sent out to the recipient’s iTunes account on a monthly basis. This is a good way to set a budget for the kids and to ensure that they do not go beyond a certain financial limit.