Files From Windows to Mac OS Lion
Windows Migration brings the following information from your Windows PC (Windows XP SP3 or greater) to your Mac:
- Email: IMAP and POP accounts from Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Windows Live email accounts are transferred to Mail. Email metadata such as read, replied, and flagged are transferred from Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail to Mail in OS X.
- Contacts: Outlook and Outlook Express contacts, and Windows Contacts from the Contact home directory are transferred to Address Book.
- Calendars: Outlook calendars are transferred to iCal
- iTunes library, including music, photos, videos and apps and games for iOS devices, except rentals
- Home directory folders and content, including Music, Pictures, Desktop, Documents, and Downloads
- Browser bookmarks and homepage from Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari are transferred to Safari
- User settings including localization, locale, and any customized desktop picture
What you need to do first
- First, make sure that both the Windows PC and the Mac are on the same network, such as your home network.
- Second, to avoid interrupting the migration process, disable automatic installation of updates in Windows.
- Make sure know the name and password of an administrator account. The first account created on the Mac is an administrator account.
Note: This process will create a new user account on your Mac to contain the Windows PC information that is migrated over. It will not merge the information with an existing user account on the Mac.
To migrate information from a PC to your Mac
Download to the Windows PC the Windows Migration Assistant installer from here.
Install Windows Migration Assistant, then open it.
Click “Continue” to proceed.
The Windows Migration Assistant will wait for you to open Migration Assistant or use Mac OS X Setup Assistant.
- On the Mac, open the Migration Assistant located in the Utilities folder. To do this: In Finder, select Go > Utilities or press Shift–Command–U (⇧⌘U), then double-click Migration Assistant.
- Select the “From another Mac, PC, Time Machine backup, or other disk” option then click “Continue”.
- When prompted, enter an administrator name and password.
- Select the “From another Mac or PC” migration method then click “Continue” to proceed.
- When prompted, click Continue to quit other applications. Other applications can’t be open on the Mac during the migration process.
- Select the PC, then wait for the PC to show the passcode displayed on the Mac.
- On the PC, once you see the passcode displayed on the Mac, click “Continue” to proceed.
- The Mac will then begin to inspect your computer and build a list of information to migrate.
- Select the information you would like to migrate to the Mac, then click Continue to proceed.
On both the Windows PC and Mac you will see a progress bar, messaging of what is being migrated and estimated time remaining. Once completed, you can log into the user account created.